Sunday, May 16, 2010

Rhubarb Crisp with a Twist

I love rhubarb in the spring. I remember one crisp/crunch that I had as a kid with raspberry jello on it to make it ummmm good. I search high and low for a recipe and each one had a different crunch or crisp or cobbler topping. I decided to make up my own recipe and with some tweaking I think I found the perfect sweet and tart combo. Since you are family I will share it so if you are lucky enough to have rhubarb you may try it for yourself.
RHUBARB CRISP
2C Flour
1C Melted Butter
1 1/2 C Oatmeal
2 tsp Cinnamon
2C Brown Sugar
8C Rhubarb
1 lg pkg Raspberry Jello
2C Water
2T Cornstarch
2tsp Vanilla
MIX: First 5 ingredients until crumbly. Press 1/2 into a 9X13 pan.
Cover with Rhubarb.
COMBINE: Jello, water, cornstarch and vanilla. Stir until clear.
Pour over rhubarb.
TOP with remaining crumbs.
BAKE AT 350 FOR 1 HOUR.
Let set for 15 min. and you can serve with ice cream or milk, but I like it just plain.
You can also substitute strawberry jello. Use regular jello not sugar free or you will not have the proper sweet/tart combo.
Enjoy the rhubarb season!
Julie

3 endearing comments:

Dawn Doucette said...

I second that "YUM!!!" It was delicious... I know, you're all jealous that you didn't get any. :)

Have a fabulous week!

Love you!
me

Diane said...

I make just the crisp part. We used to call it Oatmeal Surprise, I think. That was when the kids were little. But it's good with rhubarb too - or apples or peaches. I think I want some NOW!!!!!

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.