Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 1 - Friday, Oct. 22

Here we are sitting in our hotel room at the Double Tree Resort (10100 International Drive) in Orlando. We left our Milwaukee hotel around 7:00 am and left Milwaukee via Southwest Airlines at 9:10 am. We arrived at MCO (Rita's old airline days coming out in me here) around 12:30. Funny thing on the plane during our safety briefing. The flight attendant made this statement while explaining how the oxygen masks work, "And for those people who are traveling with small children and those with disabilities - were sorry." Made us laugh. Later on, the pilot told us, "Right now we are a heck of a long ways from Orlando and our estimated arrival time is sometime later this morning."

It was a good trip. Our taxi from the airport to the hotel had something to be desired. It was a van (good thing, because you know how Rita can pack). The driver had so much garbage in his little area I saw ants all over the center counsel. His tip decreased at that point.

Hotel is huge, three seperate pool areas. After a quick unpack, we had lunch at the restaurant at the hotel. Good food; Rita had a salmon salad, Noah had ribs, and I had a cheeseburger. But the service was horrible. Of course the restaurant automatically adds a 15% tip, so why should he work hard to get a tip.

Then we walked to the conference center to get registered - much longer walk than what we thought. Bought our 7 day I-ride bus pass and came back to the room for a little relaxation and naps. It was pool time and hot tubbing time, talked with a family from England who is on holiday here for 2 weeks. Change clothes and head to dinner. Hop on the I-ride and eat dinner at Fat Fish Blue - very good and interesting place to eat. Great waiter - totally made up for the undesirable service at lunch. We even got mardi gras beads :)

Now we are back at the room, ironed my clothes for the morning (thank you honey). Have a drink or two (we are on vacation) and get ready for everything tomorrow has to offer. Thanks for reading this far on our first day.

Scott

2 endearing comments:

Julie said...

THANKS Scott, That is the first vacation I have had in a long time. I felt like I was there but didn't have to feel the heat turn me to a puddle. I am glad you are posting it gives me a smile to read this with my cup of Krumb Cake coffee. Safe travels and leave the pesty ants in the cab. Julie

Dawn Doucette said...

Okay, I'm rolling on the floor in laughter right now... First of all, lunch sounds good, but how did it LOOK??? Pictures please... especially the ribs... and did you get a potato with that Noah?

Secondly, I read that you "Talked a family who is on vacation from England into changing clothes and coming to dinner."

My first thought is gee, how sweet of them... taking this British family under their wing and showing them how gracious and accepting we are here in the US.

Then I re-read it and realized, nope... we here in WI want to keep the beer for ourselves! ;) Just kidding -well sort of - okay, I'll speak for myself!

Have a grand trip! Love to all!