Friday, May 29, 2009

Big Birds... And I'm talking REALLY BIG Birds!

What would you do if you looked out your kitchen window
and saw HUGE Turkey Vultures sitting on your barn staring
at your back door?



Well, this is what we saw the other night! I was going to do the dishes then let the dogs out for their after dinner business, but the dogs business had to wait... I didn't want them to be dessert for the birds!

We just saw the vultures for the first time about a month ago... but now they are getting way too acclimatized and not afraid of anything. They flock to the dead tree on our lot line on the north side of our barn, and they've grown in numbers... now outnumbering us w/ our dogs. Ugly dudes... I've never seen such huge birds either.



I took the brave Christopher out with me to get a closer look... because I was too chicken to go by myself... and I really wanted to see just how many were back in the tree. Total there were 10... yes, all huge, all ugly (except to their mamas, and we won't tell her otherwise). :)

It's just really rare to be able to catch it in a picture... now if only I could catch my drunken robin on video... yes, I really do have a drunken robin. He/She (not sure which it is) sits on the window ledge of one of our barn windows and incessantly pecks it's beak against the window.

It's "flirting" with it's own reflection... dumb bird... It must be the firmented berries in the woods or something! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Love you!



P.S. Does anybody have a poll question you'd like posted? We're happy to take suggestions!

P.P.S. Does anybody want to post and share that does not have an account set up? We'd be happy to e-mail you an invitation to get you started. Just e-mail doucette56@charter.net or dawndoucette@charter.net and we'll add you any time!

Have a terrific weekend!

3 endearing comments:

JenniLynn said...

They really are ugly birds! 10 - Kimberly would be totally freaking out. She is afraid of birds - thinks they're going to attack her Alfred Hitchcock style.

Great pics though! Have a wonderful weekend!
Love
Aunt Rita

~kelly :) said...

Hi Dawn!

Thanks for the nightmare-inducing post! I, like Kimberly, am very afraid of birds. It all started when I was at a friends' house when I was 5 years old. They probably had a parakeet (which LOOKED like one of your turkey vultures, I swear!!) and they let it fly freely in their house. My friend's name was Mary Silbaugh...I even remember that, and she lived across the street from the school.

Anyway, when I came into her house (for the first and might I add, LAST time :) the bird/vulture flew right over to my head, landed on it and proceeded to peck its beak incessantly into my forehead...

you know, kind of like your drunken robin!!! Only, it didn't see its reflection...it was trying to KILL me!!!

No one could get it out of my long hair because it had its feet/claws/talons wrapped around my hair and bangs!!! I still can feel Mary's bigger brothers ripping it out of my head, I mean, HAIR...

Obviously, I have never been the same since....yeah, thanks a lot for that post!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, by the way, I question your robin's sobriety. My thoughts are it's got a touch of OCD :)

signed,
I Was A Human Birdfeeder

Dawn Doucette said...

LOL... Aunt Kelly, that was the funniest post (looking back, I'm sure it was ABSOLUTELY traumatizing when it occurred) I've read in a while. Well, probably since the last time I read an "Aunt Kelly Original!"

I am actually afraid of birds too... I specifically avoid the duck, rooster, goose barn at the county fair... I like my chickens cooked.

But I had my brave warrior to serve & protect me... so no vultures were going to get me! :)

Even worse than big birds though are bats... they aren't out yet, but they really give me the he-be-jee-bees... That's right, I'm sure he-be-jee-bees is a word in the dictionary! (At least in my version!)

Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Happy dreams! Love you,
me