Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Update on our basement

No photos, but I will try to describe what we are doing. I finally finished pulling electric, CAT 5, and coax cable. I didn't think it could get worse, then I started working with the insulation. We had the HVAC guy stop in and put in a gas line from our furnance to the fireplace location. Since he was already here I also used him to fix the heating vents.

I had Menards deliver 16 sheets (I only needed 15) of 12' 5/8" inch drywall and a couple of 2x10's. A buddy, Pete came over that day (a Sunday) and we hauled the drywall from my driverway down the stair and into the family room. That stuff is heavy, we had to take beer brakes every 4 sheets.

The next day the fireplace was installed (the day we went to the Kalahari for a conference.) I received the instructions on how to run it and immediately left. Rita, Noah and his friend Joe joined me around 4:30 pm.

That Friday we had the drywall installed in our ceiling. This was really starting to look like we are accomplishing something. The next week the mudding and painting occured and this last weekend Rita started painting. She painted all day Saturday and Sunday.

Personally, I hate painting, so I helped by leaving on Saturday and went to a bowling tournament (I bowled a 300 game!! Should I mention it was an 8-pin tap tourny? 8 pins down on the first ball equals a strike. It was still hard to get that 300!)

I helped Rita on Sunday with taping the ceiling. She said she didn't rip the tape down and re-do it. She must have been really tired at that point.

We have ordered the rock for the front of the fireplace and are going to Brooklyn Friday evening to pick out our mantel.

If you are still reading, I will stop here. Sorry for any duplication from previous posts. Hope everyone is doing great. I am watchin the news as I type and I am seeing 50 degree days coming up this week. I love spring!

Scott

2 endearing comments:

Dawn Doucette said...

Amen Uncle Scott! I'm so excited to see your finished family room. It sounds fantastic. Just think, Super Duper cable TV, High Speed Internet, A cozy fireplace.... and a jacuzzi tub! I think I'm moving in!

I'm sending my well wishes to Mother Nature too... praying for spring! Power to the people... pop up our daffodils! :)

Love you lots!
me

Julie said...

Oh Scott don't give Ed any ideas about drywall and beer. I think we work slow enough around here. I can't wait to see the pictures. I read your post and keep thinking of how nice it would be to have Christmas at your house next year. We could have a raffle to see who could use the jacuzzi and another to sit by the fire. Oh how much fun we could have. I'm already preparing my menu of deep fried turkey, bread pudding, fresh pineapple, all food I ate at the Gregory's. Ok so I am great at dreaming but it gets me through. Thanks for the update and the opportunity to dream. Julie