Sunday, February 1, 2009

Diane's Eventful January



(Bucket assesses the damages. Ken and Bucket in happier times)

Well, it's been an interesting year so far. One trip to the emergency room, one totaled car and a house without a dog. I could tell you ALL about it, but I'll try to be brief. The emergency room visit was to get some portion of broccoli salad removed from my throat. It was preventing me from swallowing. Arrived at emergency room at 4:00 2-1/2 hours in the waiting room, another 1 before being shown a room and the procedure (endoscopy) at 8:00 and home by 10:00. Quincy was super excited because I let him drive home - a whole mile - and he has no license. It was a chance I had to take. But the offending food was gone and they only want to charge me $5K for the privilege. Isn't that exciting? The prescription they gave me was only$180.00 for a 30 day supply. If I wasn't sick before the bill, it was enough to make me so. I intend to check out my options and I now have somewhat affordable health insurance which if I had had then would've been more than my deductible.

The totaled car was a result of someone rear-ending me as I was stopped at a green light waiting to turn left. I was actually rear-ended two days earlier but it was very minor so I let the guy go. But this time it wasn't an option. I kind of like the free rental car - a Ford Fusion, but I'm not sure how this is all going to work out. I obviously need a new car but I've never really enjoyed the car shopping experience. And for a while, the chiropractor is back on my schedule.

And now for the dog. Her name was Bucket and although I've never been a huge dog (pet) person, I actually grew to love Bucket and I think she liked me to in her odd way. However, she didn't get on so well with most people. Ken had rescued her when she was 4-1/2 months old. But she never really socialized too well and when Ken moved out she didn't take too well to the guy he shared a house with. Then she somehow injured her back legs. He tried to find her another home but she wasn't having it. I would've kept her but she barked incessantly when people cam over and even if I'd had the time I don't think I could've gotten her to the point of being trained enough to listen to me. So, yesterday we took her to the humane society and if there's doggie heaven that's where she is now.

The good news is Jesus loves me. And I am gainfully employed. And the car accident could've been worse. And my bathroom is majorly improved - I'll attach after pictures next time. Next job is the kitchen. And of course there are hundreds of other blessings - seen and unseen.

So I was trying to decide how many car accident's I've been in and thought maybe that should be our next poll. (By the way I think being invisible would be super cool because I am so curious about a lot of things and I could learn so much but I'm sure there's a downside like learning some things you might not want to know. Such is life.) But anyhow, the poll could be how many car accidents have you been in? a. 0 b. 1-4 c. 5-8 or d. let me get back to you on that. I think I'm in the last category 'cause it would take me some time to tally.

One last item. Dad mentioned a book to me which I'm just finishing up called "White Coat Wisdom". I got it through interlibrary loan because my local library didn't carry it. But I'd highly reccomend it. The subtitle is "Extraordinary doctors talk about what they do, how they got there and why medicine is so much more than a job". A lot of the featured doctors practice in Wisconsin but come from all over the world. Five out of five stars.

Happy February to all and Remember to Enjoy Your Day!
Diane

5 endearing comments:

Julie said...

Soo so sorry about the start to the new year. Ed would solve the broccoli problem by avoiding broccoli in the future. I hope all the bad stuff is gone and the pot of gold remains for the rest of the year. Love ya, Julie

Dawn Doucette said...

Oh my goodness... nothing like kicking back and relaxing... not! I hope February is much more un-eventful for you. I'm glad you are safe... from both automobiles & broccoli.

Know that you're loved very much! I pray that many good blessings will come this month to counter-balance last!

Love you lots!
Me

JenniLynn said...

WOW! That is a lot of shi....stuff to take! My heart goes out to you for all of your losses. If there is a doggie heaven, I know Reggie would be right there to greet Bucket and make him feel at home.

I am glad you are healthy now, except for your back but hopefully that recovery will be quick. We REALLY gotta talk!

'Til then, know that "if God brings you to it, He will bring you through it." If He has as much faith in you as I do, and I know He does, you will not only survive, but thrive and rise higher and better than you were before.

Love,
R

~kelly :) said...

Hi Diane!

It was good to hear from you and I think it's a strong person that can share their not-so-perfect news along with some great news! I had almost the same type of January and I am not lying! In one week alone, Tuesday I paid out over $700 in car repairs and STILL have to have the front end fixed (which they quoted as being around $1,000 WITH parts.) Wednesday, after purchasing $250 worth of food for the college kids to go back with, we returned home to find out our fridge/freezer had quit running (probably a day or two ago!) and we didn't even realize it! (Although Vince did mention that his milk was rather warm on his cereal that morning!) Thursday, I took said college kids down to UW-Milwaukee to help them move stuff in and purchase their books for them,,,,CHA-CHING!!$$$ I can't even bring myself to give you THAT total. That Friday morning, Vince told me at 7:30 am that I needed to give him a ride to work that morning. I rolled out of bed and literally put a coat on and jumped in the van to take him. When we pulled up to the back door of Omnipress, all this black smoke came rolling out from underneath the van! Hmmmm, this might be a problem, I thought!! I backed up and went down a little side street, because I did NOT want to get stuck there right outside the door with everyone coming to work! The van died, and Vince wanted me to come inside so I could be warm while we waited for someone to come and tow the vehicle. Well, Diane,,,I was NOT going inside because honest to God, when I said I rolled out of bed and put my coat on, I'm not kidding. I said to Vince, "wait a minute. I am NOT going inside because I am wearing my holly and ivy christmas sleep shirt, NO BRA, blue plaid flannel lounging pants (extremely thin), slippers and I have not my brushed hair OR teeth! I'd rather FREEZE out here than go in there and wait!!!"

He went in to call a tow truck, I lucked out and your mom was home to come and rescue me (again!!) and then, while riding with her, I had to make a call to the Endodontist since they were trying to fit me in that morning to have a PAINFUL tooth looked at. (I had been suffering for about 2-1/2 weeks with that one, little sleep and LOTS of pain.) They could see me at 11am that morning...yippee!

I walked out of there, 3-1/2 hours later (since they were fitting me in around REAL appointments) with a fresh root canal and $1,052 less in my checkbook! Yeah, just like that...they didn't even bat an eye when they told me how much putting me out of my misery was going to cost...up front! right now! lickity split!

The van? To fix that was a bargain $315 that afternoon and well, at least it works again...

I'm not laying this out there to try to look like I am one-upping you...I am just wanting you to realize this...

You are singing to the choir here, sister!!!

I CAN SO COMPLETELY RELATE THAT WHEN I READ YOUR BLOG, I MADE SURE IT WASN'T FROM ME!

I can appreciate you still know that Jesus loves you, but I am having some serious doubts :)

I'll give him this week to prove it!

You know I love you and hey, I tried to call you but I don't think I have a correct number. Maybe you could give me that and we could be each others' helplines...you know, when you just need to phone a friend :)

Keep your chin up...I'll try to do the same with both of mine!

xoxoxoxo, ~kelly

Julie said...

Diane I got my copy of the book today. I found a used copy online and when it came it was autographed, LOL. I am now 'Zorba' as per the message in the book.Can't wait to read it. Julie