Saturday, August 8, 2009

Frozen corn adventure

Hi, me again. (I warned you!)
I took Friday off and Noah and I went to Reedsburg to visit my parents and do a task. The local grocery store owner (Viking Village, my very first employer) grows his own sweet corn. They were selling the corn for $1.00 a dozen with a limit of 3 dozen each. I stopped and picked up 3 dozen, Mom went to the store to get her 3 as did Dad and my brother.

After visiting for a while we husked the 12 dozen ears of corn. We ate lunch of hot dogs, brats and corn (surprise!). Then we boiled the rest of the corn and cooled it off, cut it, bagged and froze it in freezer bags. This was Noah's first time to freeze corn. He said he was really bored husking corn and helping with the cooking and freezing part. But, this evening we had a bag (all bags we made were about 12 oz) of the corn. He was very proud of his work and loved his frozen corn!

About 3:00 pm we decided to head home and get home before my beautiful wife. Noah and I decided to drive through downtown Dells to see what was going on. Holy cow were they busy! We were on the bridge over the WI River and I said to Noah, "What were we thinking coming this way." Then ....... BOOM, we were re-ended by some young kid in his parents very nice and fairly new SUV.

Thank God we were driving my beater truck we bought earlier this year (see a previous blog). This kids car had well over $4,000 in damage and his bumper and front grill were ripped off. My truck on the other hand had the bumper moved about 1/2 inch. Good 'ol American technology of building vehicles with metal and not plastic! (We'll see what the body shop says about getting the bumper fixed.)

Noah was very exited about this accident (he has been in more than I have now I think!) He could remember exactly what happened.

Hope everyone is staying cool this weekend. Have an ice tea and thank God noone was hurt in our crash!

Scott

2 endearing comments:

Dawn Doucette said...

Well hello Uncle Scott! I haven't gotten to comment on Lambo yet and viola... another post! I'm really glad your brilliant wife was able to assist you in getting online again! :)

I'm so glad nobody was hurt in your fender bender... That kids insurance is about to sky rocket... and Noah, that's what we call "What NOT to do when you get the privilege of driving your dad's vehicle!" LOL

Your fresh sweet corn sounds delicious... as I'm about to sit down to take-out chinese... I love this heat & humidity... my hair's a bit curlier... but no worse for the wear!

Love you lots!
Dawn

P.S. I made the "previous post" in your comment a link to the post about the truck! :) I know, I'm a geek, but you all still love me, right???

Julie said...

Well I like the part that the bumper had more damage than the bumpee. I'm sure it is a little annoying to be on the way home from a day of physical labor and have to take time to talk to the nice officer and fill out some paperwork. Well thanks for my morning read keep posting. Julie